4. Cost and Availability
The Friesian Horse’s cost depends on the availability, color, age, pure breed, training, temperament, and uses. This horse breed is available in North America and Europe.
Before 1974, due to cross-breeding, pure Friesian horse was extinct. They became popular since they can be used in dressage, jumping, harness riding, and agricultural work.
5. Judgment of Friesian Horse
The Friesian horse is judged by a team expert member from the Netherlands every year. The judgment is done for the maintenance of the breed’s purity. The 60 percent judgment depends on the horse’s movement and performance, and the remainder 40 percent is based on the confirmation.
6. Breeding of Friesian Horse
The Friesian Horse Association of North America doesn’t encourage the cross-breeding of Friesian horses with other horse breeds. Friesians are the first breeds of horses with frozen semen around the world in order to maintain the purity of the breed.
7. Care and Management
The Friesians are a well-behaved and well-tempered horse breed that can be maintained by family members. Like other horses, they require care and management. They need daily grooming, supplement, training, exercise, feed, and rest. Especially, they need care for their long and fluffy tails and mane. You also need to give specific attention to their feet, hooves, and wearing of the horseshoe.
8. What are they used for?
The Friesian horses are used in multiple purpose. They are successfully used in pleasure driving, dressage, and even for light draft purposes or farm work. The Friesians are suited well in harness racing since they have potent hindquarters. They are world-widely popular in recreational driving horses show. They are also used much in dressage competitions in the Olympic Games and other Equestrian Competitions.
9. Few problems of Friesian Horse
Although Friesian horses are top-rated in the world of horses, they have a few health problems. The breed has undergone severe inbreeding before the maintaining of the studbook in 1878. Their common genetic problems include dwarfism, megaesophagus, hydrocephalus, aortic rupture, compromised immunity, and verrucous pastern dermatopathy.